Having enjoyed a career in professional Dance, Ms Hopkins is looking forward to bringing her vast experience in performance and teaching to Ernulf Academy’s Performing Arts Department, therefore from September 2016, we shall be teaching the AQA GCSE Dance (4230) Specification.
This programme of work helps students develop technical and expressive skills as well as knowledge and understanding of dance through performance, choreography and critical appreciation of dance.
This four unit specification enables students to:
- increase their confidence and self-esteem
- employ the skills of problem solving and creativity
- make knowledgeable decisions about dances.
It allows students to actively and physically demonstrate their abilities through the controlled assessment which is worth 60% of the qualification and the practical exam, worth 20%.
This course provides a solid foundation for a career in dance or performing arts and/or further studies in dance or performing arts, including A-level Dance.
Dance gives students the opportunity to develop their coordination, keep fit and express themselves. With modern facilities and large performance spaces students have the chance to excel in this subject. If your child has a passion for performance and Dance their are many opportunities for them at Ernulf Academy.
Aims / Objectives
The aim of the Dance Department at Ernulf Academy is to encourage and develop :
- Student’s enjoyment and participation in Dance
- Their creativity and confidence
- An understanding of different Dance styles
- Student’s awareness of the technical aspects of Dance including sound, lighting and staging
- An understanding of the importance of team work
- Constructive evaluations of their own work and that of others
- To offer a range of extra curricular opportunities
- Prepare students for further study of Dance
Key Stage 3
Year 7 and 8 have one 60 minute lesson of dance each week. Students learn how to choreograph their own dances using different stimuli. They perform and evaluate their progress.
Students can progress to AQA GCSE dance
GCSE Dance –
- Unit 1: Critical appreciation of dance
- Unit 2: Set dance
- Unit 3: Group dance
- Unit 4: Solo choreography
- Unit 4: Group choreography